The use of video on web sites is continuing to grow. Most organizations do not think strategically when creating their videos. We believe that every chance you get, you should think about multiple uses of the same element. Video is no different. When considering video, think if there is a way to edit a larger piece down to 30 seconds or under. If you can, you can leverage that same video and create an advertisement you can put online.
The instructions below assumes that you already have a Google Adwords account set up. With your 30 second video commercial completed, you can follow these steps to start advertising on YouTube.
When you log into your Adwords account, click on the red +CAMPAIGN button, then select Video. This will take you to the next screen where you enter the general settings for this campaign.
- Enter your own campaign name. Use a name that will be meaningful to you.
- Leave the video option in the drop down box. Leave the standard option checked.
- Leave the In-stream or video discovery ads checked.
- Leave Manual: Maximum CPV selected.
- Set your daily budget. A good rule of thumb is to select a budget that is 5%-10% of your traditional adwords campaign.
- If you check YouTube Searches, your video will be displayed when someone does a relevant YouTube search. If you check YouTube videos, your video will be displayed in front of another relevant video. If you check Video Partners on the display network, your video will be displayed on third party sites that are partners with Google.
- Pick the geographic locations you wish to target.
- Select the language or languages.
- Determine which devices you want your video to be displayed on.
When you have completed this page, hit Save and Continue which will record this information and take you to the next page seen below.
- Enter the name for the Adgroup. Select a name that will be meaningful.
- Paste the url of your YouTube video advertisement.
- Enter the amount you are willing to spend per view of your video. You are only charged if someone views the entire video.
- This option is only if your video is in a very competitive space with videos that globally have significant interest.
- This is where you can be very strategic by leveraging data in your Google Analytics. Hopefully, you have enabled Demographics. Go to Google Analytics and view the age and gender demographics links (see below) and enter that information by clicking edit.
6. This is where you can be very strategic by leveraging data in your Google Analytics. Hopefully, you have enabled Interest tracking. Go to Google Analytics and view the interests links (see below) and enter that information by clicking edit.
7. This option gives you even more ways to narrow who sees your video. If you really know your audience, it is worthwhile to investigate this.
8. Save your campaign and you are ready to go. Good Luck!!